Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Books as luggage on trips

I never fail to bring some of the books I have bought but not read, on my overseas vacations. I think to myself that I will be able to read them on the flights to and fro. When I am on the flights however, I either sleep or am enthralled by the in-flight entertainment. I try to do some reading when I return to my hotel room each night, but coupled with the new books I buy from the local bookshops, the number of books in my luggage increases. I'm happy to say though that I managed to finish reading a magazine and a whole book on my last trip.

The books I bring are usually paperback fiction or on local nostalgia, thus they are not as bulky and heavy as Janadas Devan's. I try to reduce my final number to 2 or 3, so that I can leave space for my essentials. As Aldous Huxley mentioned 90 years ago, I cannot get out of the illusion that tourists have. I am definitely a reading addict like Devan too. The ironic thing is that I have always brought along "Twitter books" but I still fail to finish reading all of them :S

No comments: