Monday, August 1, 2011

I am really like Mary Bennet!

Having read A Match For Mary Bennet by Eucharista Ward, I am filled with fantasies as to what my life would be like if I were to remain single. First though, let me present the comparisons between her and me.

She is contented travelling back and forth to visit Jane and Lizzy. She learns to create samplers. She goes to church and ends up serving the Lord in ministries. She indulges in books, music and religion. She has high aspirations towards marriage,associating it with God's divine will. She begins to wonder about motherhood. I possess all these inclinations too.

However, there are differences between us too. She does not like to dress up for balls and while there, buries her nose in a book. She tends to quote from the religious writings she has read in her conversations with people. She does see marriage as unnecessary in attaining a state of contentment.

I, on the other hand, love to read about clothes and makeup. I have a weakness for floral dresses and never fail to buy a new dress for Christmas each year. I am a girly girl where fashion is concerned. At a social function, especially a formal one, I am tempted to indulge in my books but I do not. It is rude to do so. I try to make conversation with the people around me. I do not quote from my spiritual readings in my personal interaction with others. It merely turns them off. I am very open to marriage and believe in its ability to grant me happiness, just as singlehood can do so.

Now, I will go back to expounding on my dream life in being a single. I will get more tuition students from further areas to teach. I will experiment with new dishes to cook and entertain friends at home. I will continue to visit the library and bookshops. I will resume my hobby of visiting museums and attending music concerts. I will meet up with my friends at meals and outings. I will manifest my thought into action of producing cross-stitch samplers. I will go back to attending weekday mass and Charismatic sessions. I will work on improving my vocal gift through voice training sessions, and perhaps fulfill my secret aspiration to sing on stage like Lea Salonga or sing with the Singapore Lyric Opera. I may write more poetry books other than the one I hope to publish in 4 years' time.

A great passion is to travel to England where history and literature are most appealing to me. I would love to embark on historical/literary walks/tours and go for literary retreats. My favourite literary author is Austen, and it would be magical to travel to the places she and her charcters went to. Having read about these in books like Me and Mr Darcy, A Weekend with Mr Darcy and Austenland, I am excited to experience the same adventures the protaganists did. The countryside and suburbs are equally enthralling. I would also join the Jane Austen Society and attend its events. It would be so ecstatic wearing empire-waist dresses to balls.

Bath is my favourite town in England, and I would like to explore it further and for a longer time. There is so much more of Austen's worlds in Bath that I have yet to visit. From a modern perspective, the town has a lot to offer as well. The vintage boutiques, craft shops and bookstores are alluring. Vintage Magic the book, Mollie Makes the magazine and brands like Cath Kidston have introduced me to these delights. Even the public houses are the types that define the true sense of the term, with their food and activities like knitting groups and trivia quizzes. No sleazy vices that degrade women are present. The Christmas fair would be within walking distance.

I would not mind staying there for a long period of time. I could start a small business of my own. I could open a little diner offering the dishes I love to cook, both Asian and Western. Of course, I would keep it cosy and comfy with its smaller size as compared to typical eateries. Ahh... such is my 'alternate reality' :)

No comments: