Monday, October 14, 2013

Family by Ba Jin

When I first read this novel as a young girl, it was out of curiosity and I liked the plot. It stopped at that.

Picking up this same novel as an older adult gives me different views of it. I still like the plot but I can now appreciate the characters and their situations more. I can also detect the tragic flavour in the story, as the author didacticised.

Here are some excerpts:

"Mingfeng bowed her head shyly but she felt inexpressible joy in her heart. For the past two years, she had often longed to be alone with Juehui but now she was a little afraid. He loved Mingfeng and wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. He asked, " Don't you want to be with me?"

"Juexin wanted to find a chance to bare his soul to her but each time he met her, he couldn't say anything."

No comments: