Friday, March 27, 2009

Never tired of the Little Nonya

I found the series on Youtube and have been watching certain scenes again and again. I really love the developing relationship between Anqi and Jonathan. I have this feeling that she wanted to accept his love, but he ran off after expressing his feelings. Was it out of shyness? He seems more sensitive and loving than Desmond. His understanding and empathy towards Yueniang as she told her story, is a giveaway sign. He is sensitive especially towards Anqi when she cries in the last episode as her Ma Ma thanks her for cooking, and Juxiang and Yousoke's love. He makes a better partner for Anqi. He exudes respect towards elders when he pays his respects to Yueniang upon her death. I wish the script had made his relationship with Anqi progress into love.

I also love the reunion between Yousoke and his family, as well as Little Kok Kok. It is so heartwarming, the coming back together of people who care for one another. I like the fiesty nature of Yueniang, when she deals with the two scums who make trouble for her and takes revenge on Tianbao for attempting to rape her. I also enjoy watching the kinship between Anqi and her Ma Ma, Tianlan and Yueniang, and Yueniang/Juxiang and Tao-jie. The tender moments are very real. The actresses act really well. Anqi's and Jonathan's sad looks as they watch Tao-jie limp are very authentic too. They really bring out the emotions very well.

I feel that Yousoke's and Juxiang's love is intense and intimate, not just sweet, and Chen Sheng would never be able to have that with her, even if they should marry. The looks they give each other are shared communication of emotions and words. They have gone through so much together and their love for each other is so strong that it transcends time and space. From the time he saved her from Da Sha till the time he lured the soldiers away from her to let her escape, and died as a result, they have each other in their hearts. She too, had faith that he would return to her after going back to Japan to see his father, despite people telling her otherwise, and waited for him outside their home every night.

Chen Xi's and Yueniang's love too was strong. I enjoyed their bickering when he met her while washing his hands, and the kidnapping incident was a turning point for their relationship. It was a waste that she did not take his deception very well and decided against being with him. I think Libby's love with him was not as strong, though they married. It is the same for Paul's love with Yueniang. Yueniang's love was so true and noble that she refused to be with Chen Xi when he wanted to divorce Zhenzhu, in order to protect his reputation. Chen Xi too, eventually let go of his love for her when he knew she was marrying Paul.

In a way, both mother and daughter had their true loves for a while. Their lives were worth living.

This show really reminds me of my Ma Ma and now I realise why I called her that. I also remember her for her cookery skills. I was her food taster. I just wish I knew more about her life than what I do know, but it is too late now.

No comments: