Friday, March 27, 2009

New books again!

Sophie Kinsella's Remember Me: a time-travel-cum-love story. I am a fan of time-travel stories and relish the moment she woke up in the future. As the story progresses with her colleagues hating her and her journey in trying to find out the reason, I could not wait to discover the answer too. I wished that she could go back to the present though but I guess she had a better life in the future.

Sophie Kinsella's The Undomestic Goddess: I liked this story better. I guess it appeals to me since I am now taking over the kitchen duties in my family. Her attempts at cooking especially, mirror my own, though I'm not as bad as she. Lol. The improvement in her skills due to the lessons learnt from her beau's mother are heartening indeed. I love the ending very much. She realised the beauty of simplicity and nature, and chose to forgo the high-flying life back in London. She showed determination in proving her innocence and the triumph she felt is indescribable. I was so afraid that her relationship would end for good but the two of them realised their love was stronger than they thought, and came back together. :) Now I really want to go to Paddington station!

LBD's The Rules of Gentility: rather authentic in its Regency setting and way of life. The pink cover is girly too, with the elegant embossments at the corners. It was a shock to discover that two of the suitors were homosexual though. Haha.

Where Angels Go: I love this book of happy endings with divine intervention in its course. It reassures me that our prayers are at the very least, heard. The stories which touch me the most is the one where a divorced couple get back together, after meeting online without knowing of each other's true identities, having learnt their lessons, and where a boy finally gets his Christmas present of a dog with red fur, after a stray dog of this type saves the family from a fire.

Trish Perry's The Guy I'm Not Dating: This was the first book that made me cry. The most I get is extremely disturbed. It is very poignant. I especially love the mingling of prayer/faith with romance/life. The traditional way of courtship is also a rare element. Indeed, it affirms my belief to wait for God's timing for love.

Kristen Sawyer's Not Quite a Bride: Has a pretty cover in turquoise green, my favourite colour. Love the perfect ending where Molly's best friend realises he has always held feelings for her and stops her from marrying her hired fiance. Eventually, she gets to plan her dream wedding again but this time, with someone she loves. Though it has less frills, it is warm and sweet, as it has a real romance involved. So appealing to women who have always dreamt of their wedding and having the kind of romance Molly has.

Chew Lee Li's The Mad Housewife's Diary: A witty account of life as a tai-tai residing in a condominium and with a rich husband to provide her with spending money. She is studying for a degree in English Literature, just like I did.

No comments: