Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Artistic appreciation isn't ruled by a closed mind

I've never failed to go for the concert held on an annual basis by Anglo-Chinese Junior College's choir, entitled: An Evening With Friends and performed at the Esplanade Concert Hall. It's not just because I know an alumni member but because I really like their singing. They excel at bringing out the spirituality and sentimentality of the music pieces. Their soft sounds are beautiful to hear and all the four sections are really good at projecting their parts. I've gone for their carolling sessions as well.

There are some people who don't appreciate them but I don't need to seek their approval in my patronization of school choirs, do I? Hence I don't even bother to tell people of my attendance of the choir's performances. I don't really care if I'm ostracized as a result, as had happened to someone else. Seriously, if these people allow their prejudices and loyalties to mar the true beauty of the choir's singing, then they're merely being shallow in their artistic and music appreciation. I'm exposing myself to different aspects of music and this is another way of doing so.

This attitude continues even in some members of the audience who attend the concerts. They go to support their friends who are in the choir but due to their lack of music appreciation, they insult the conductor when they laugh at certain times while the choir is singing. It had been just a simple musical scale of notes that had been sung during one of the pieces at the most recent concert, and that evoked such a rude outburst of laughter. It was as if they were mocking the conductor and composer of that piece.

Being at a young age doesn't mean that they should be understood for giving such a reaction. If that is so, then their educators are at fault for not imparting music appreciation and concert etiquette to them. Perhaps I may sound elitist here, since I do have musical exposure, but surely concert etiquette is for everyone?

No comments: