Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Retail therapy in an unusual form

Most women turn to retail therapy to cheer themselves up when they are troubled or stressed. The most common form of it is clothes, bags or shoes, I reckon. I've never been much of a shopper for those items, except when I'm in need of new ones or for special occasions. I've always prided myself on being an exception in comparison to them, to sound a tad condescending here but with no malice intended.

Lately however, I've fallen prey to a different form of retail consumption - books and magazines. I do feel like a shopaholic, though in the literary form. Perhaps that explains why Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series is akin to me. Becky Bloomwood and I look to retail consumption as a form of emotional therapy but of course, we've different tastes and my finances are definitely not deviant towards debt. Yes, I do spend considerable amounts of money each time I embark on these shopping sprees but my finances are still pretty much in order.

No comments: