Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Journey of Faith Exhibition at ACM

I was privileged enough to go in there for free as a performer. I didn't really have the luxury of time to scrutinise every single exhibit and plaque. I took a quick scan through them instead, concentrating on the visuals rather than the verbals. There were certain exhibits that still stopped me in my tracks and made me take a second look however.

The angels holding instruments of Christ's passion exhibit was enlightening. The fact that angels held those instruments made the tragedy seem more positive, as opposed to its usually negative connotation. Also, the painting that showed the carrying of Christ's lifeless body to the tomb after His death evoked thoughts in me. His body was portrayed with such lifelessness, which brought out the surrendering of His spirit to His Father, leaving just His mere mortal remains. The posture of the way His body lay was significant, that He was truly dead to man, dead to the world.

Another painting showing Christ in the tomb provoked me to prayer. Such was its power. His body had injuries and they were tended to with much tenderness by 2 angels. I couldn't help but utter, "Oh God, how you died for us!" I wished I was one of the angels or even the little donkey who could be with our Lord at His death and birth respectively. A painting on the flight to Egypt also left me transfixed. The Holy Family was resting on the journey. Mother Mary was scooping water from the river to drink and her facial expression was gentle. The Boy Jesus was offering some to St Joseph to drink. Their eyes established contact as the gesture was carried out and received. It was a bond and exchange between father and child. They are the most perfect family to me.

Last but not least, the portrait of our former Pope attracted me to linger around it. It was so life-like and realistic. I remembered the time I saw him at St Peter's Square in Italy last year. Though it was via a video screen, as he was in his car travelling within the square while I was outside it, emotions just welled up within me and I was overwhelmed just being there. The painting portrayed his face as especially life-like. It is a fitting end to the exhibition, in terms of positioning, as people who went earlier say, since he's our last Pope before Benedict XVI, the present one.

My only grouse about this exhibition though was that I had a difficult time finding the way into it and out of it. The signs were few and far between. I must say that the signs were designed well however. The bright red colour and the shape were easy to spot. Also, the exhibition was situated past all the other galleries, in the Special Gallery, which was right inside. It is a smart move since visitors have to view the other exhibitions first before reaching this one, thus saving the best for last, a suitable climax to their museum exhibitions journey.

No comments: