Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Deeparaya preparations on TV and goodies!

I saw a documentary on Kumar being taught how to cook Deepavali's traditional food by his friend. There were dishes like Nasi Briyani, Chicken Curry and Muruku among others. I learnt that there's excessive use of spices in Indian cooking. The Indians use spices like cloves, star anise and cinnamon sticks among others. They also use yoghurt and lots of ghee! *blergh* I saw how Nasi Briyani and Muruku were made with ghee and also quite a substantial amount of oil. Though that's why these 2 dishes taste really good, that's also why they're fattening. :S

Then I saw another documentary on interviews of non-Malays at the Malay Village pasar malam. An Indian lady gave her reason for going there as the fact that some things found there can't be found in Little India and also there are 4 markets as opposed to only 1 market in Little India. Some foreigners said they liked to look at the baju kurongs and carpets there.

These two documentaries allowed me to soak in the atmosphere of the festivals. :) Furthermore, a parent of one of my students, obviously an Indian, gave me Deepavali goodies for the second year. :) I had lots of Muruku, which were really tasty. I also had Sugee Cookies, Pineapple Tarts, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Rock Buns, Oatmeal Cookies and Chocolate Cookies, out of which I really enjoyed Sugee Cookies, Chocolate Chip Cookies and Rock Buns. Thanks Natasha! :)

No comments: