Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Education(pun!) through SCV's Educational Package, IF the right programmes are watched.

I just added another package to cable TV : the educational package. It consists of Animal Planet, National Geographic and Discovery. I love it and watch it several times a day.

I love Animal Planet. I saw a documentary on trainers dealing with irate dogs and then running them through exams to determine their graduation from the school. Then there was another documentary on rescuing animals trapped in dire situations. I love happy endings. When I see strays while out, I always feel sad and ask St Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals, to take care of them. I love hairy, furry dogs. I love retrievers. When I was in China, I saw a food stall advertising dog meat! Blergh! To them it is normal but not to me!


I also watched a documentary entitled 'The Protectors' of dogs. It made me feel a lump in my throat. The New York police department has a special section devoted to rescuing abused dogs and bringing their murderers to justice. The dogs were so thin with their ribs sticking out and no fat on their bodies. There was nothing in their stomachs. They had been starved! One even had a cateract in its eye but the delayed treatment caused it to lose its eye. It also had lymnodes on its body. How can humans do such a thing??!!

Then I saw a documentary on Mount Vesuvius, the volcano that destroyed Pompeii in 79 AD. It is an archaelogy programme but it chronicled the actual devastation process then. It reenacted how the volcanic ash and smoke turned actual living beings into skeletons to be unearthed 2000 years later. It was so impactful that I just watched it speechlessly on the National Geographic channel.


Then I saw another documentary on forensic science and technology being used by the FBI to pursue a couple of fraudsters, kidnappers and murderers, on Discovery channel. I love forensic science. I wanted to be a forensic pathologist but my science subject was horrible back in school. I love watching CSI and how the team cracks cases using it. Of course, they have to work overtime but it is the job nature that is so enticing. I don't mind the new series on NY but I prefer the Miami and Las Vegas ones. Maybe I will get used to it with time.

No comments: