Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Our nation's birthday!

I try to make it a point to watch our National Day Parade on television every year. It defies reason as to why I do this. The indescribable feelings evoked in me whilst watching it draws me back each time. However, one thing I can pinpoint that I look forward to in the parade is the national songs featured as part of the medley as well as the theme song for each year. Even the national anthem is more meaningful to me now after having sung it for the diplomatic dinner between Singapore and the Vatican state. It had been impressed upon us that we were singing it not just as a church choir member but also as a Singapore citizen.

Reviews had been given by our fellow citizens on the parade. The minority felt that it was "predictable" and just like always. The same items were displayed as before and there was no novelty about it. I was indignant after reading this letter but someone wrote in to counter this opinion, which eased my sense of injustice.

It takes concerted efforts behind the scenes of all major performances to create such celebrations for the occasion. By undermining the parade, aren't these efforts being disregarded?!

In this year's parade, what caused a lump in my throat were two things. PAP and WP members working for the state arrived together for the parade. I saw two WP members amongst the PAP members. It certainly proved that despite being in different political parties, their common identity as Singaporeans supercedes that fact. Also, the history of Singapore was flashed and it made me realise how we, as a nation, have come a long way. If we just stop to look out for such rainbows in the sky, we won't just see a plain blue sky, will we?

There are also a few national songs that strike a chord in my heart when they are sung. Home sung by Kit Chan, Reach for the Stars sung by Taufik and Rui-En, Where I Belong sung by Tanya Chua and this year's theme song My Island Home sung by Keira Gong are these songs. Even older songs like Stand Up for Singapore, We are Singapore and Count on Me Singapore never fail to make me feel nostalgic and poignant.

Yes, the fireworks definitely made the whole experience for me as a television viewer magical, so I am sure the spectators at the stadium would have felt the same way too. There were four rounds of fireworks at the parade and they weren't just lit in the air! There were ground fireworks too!

I must add however, that though the fireworks rendered me speechless, except for a silent and awed "Wow.", the significance of the parade really goes beyond such extravaganza for me. I do have a sense of national pride as I behold the spiritual victories we had over such tough times as the Japanese Occupation, the racial riots, the tedious days of post-independence, the economic depressions, the Hotel New World collapse and the SARS disaster. We went through these milestones as a nation united in co-operation and selflessness.

No comments: