Tuesday, August 19, 2008

New things I've borrowed

I am continuing to frequent the library and I borrowed 2 bridal magazines. I think out of all the bridal magazines I've read so far, Wedding and Travel is the best. It is informative, visual and inspiring. Advertisements are fewer as compared to others. It looks thick but is really very light.

I borrowed more cookery books. I can never tire of them. I borrowed those to do with holiday and historical recipes. :D It was really pleasurable relishing the coloured pictures in them. I also borrowed children's ghost stories. I am not exactly referring to Mr Midnight but I am referring to those set in the 20th Century in England and America, complemented by late Victorian elements.

I also borrowed the cd: Carpenters Christmas from my cousin. It consists of: Christmas Portrait and Old-fashioned Christmas. The former gives the listener a more homely and warm feel of Christmas while the latter puts him in a classical mood. I prefer the former. It is a good way of getting into the Christmas mood. :)

I read this magazine called Family and there was an article on Reading for Children in it. I picked up some useful tips in teaching pre-schoolers to read. I adopted the method of phonemics, where you split the word into different sounds and then join them back to make up the word. It seems to be working. :) It does! My student's reading has improved so much within 3 lessons. He finds it easier and more fun to read.

No comments: